Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Home Stretch, Here I Come

I realize now how close I am to finishing this quarter-and thank the good Lord in heaven for that. I wrote two papers this week, finished a 12 source annotated bibliography, typed 15 pages of quotations, turned in my phase 5, got my capstone contract formed by nearly every staff member, had our volleyball banquet, and gave an hour long presentation in Spanish.
And now I am almost done! I'm at work right now, as you can tell they have me weighed down with loads of work. It has been one of my most productive places to do homework everyday. The other day I went shopping for the banquet and our goodie bag fundraiser supplies with Mary Ann, Hannah, Sara, and Gary. They took us to the Original Pancake House beforehand to start us off energized for shopping. In reality, I drank two cups of coffee and ended up just really having to go to the bathroom most of the time. When we came back, two girls on the team were auditioning their choreographed dances for the Dance Production that goes on in the Winter quarter. They did so well and we found out last night that they both got accepted. After that, I worked out and then Cat and I went into Alton to get presents for the coaches and eat dinner at Bread Co. Yum Yum.
I am so grateful that today is Friday, I will only have two more classes after today (I only have 1 today) and I think that one of those class periods will mean watching Planet Earth, I have a tough life.
Kurtis is still crazy busy with music, lessons, painting, and meetings. I am looking forward to getting home though, although I'm skeptical as to whether I will help his busy levels or not. Tomorrow we are doing the volleyball fundraiser which is always fun and then I am going out with Christy to have a cafe day. It is getting colder, that is for sure, and I hear that it is cold back home in Washington too.
My cousin Katlyn just got engaged, YEP, you heard it right! I just saw on Facebook. Isn't that weird, that we learn about people's personal lives on the internet now. No personal contact or intentional conversation but we still know what is going on in eachother's lives. I'm not convinced that that is a good thing. I'm actually thinking that it is terrible. I wish we still had to write letters to people and appreciated a good phone call once in a while. It's weird how the easier communication appears to get, the more ways we can communicate increases, we actually communicate less. How does that work? I think it's the laziness of being able to post something to the whole world and then not having to take the time or maybe even the awkward conversations to talk to each individual person. That's exactly what I am doing on this blog though, hmmmm...........

2 comments:

  1. Actually, it gives us a chance to look at your life from a different perspective. I prefer F2F, but this helps make up for the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WARNING: the following should not be taken seriously, as it is written by your loving brother...

    You're an idiot. It has been proven, and written about in an article recently in the New York Times, that we spend more time than EVER before in human history talking, writing, and otherwise communicating with each other. Also, if you don't like it so much, don't look. If it wasn't for the technology, don't fool yourself with the idea that you'd get a personalized wax-sealed letter (which wastes TONS of resources) about every little insignificant stupid things our family, distant relatives, friends, and amazing politicians care to do. We'd just be in the dark. Therefore, though it may seem not very personal, technology raises the amount of communication from 0 to a little more than 0, which seems a bit more personal to me.

    Also from an educational, democratic, and equality-centric view on the world, you're an idiot times two. Without this technology, you wouldn't know half of what you know about the world, and we'd still be thinking that racism is a good idea. That's how it's played out here in China, and thanks to technology, people are finally breaking out of their shells. It's not all good, but it's sure a hell of a lot better than the crap that existed beforehand. It allows for true self-determination and government (true democracy, in my eyes).

    By the way, you're not really an idiot. I get very tired of Facebook and seldom get on anymore just because of what you're talking about here - impersonal sound bites instead of real news. And most of the people here use the internet to play games. So I take it all back. Love you!

    ReplyDelete